Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

I am looking to receive a Pardon or expungement to regain civil

I am looking to receive a Pardon or expungement to regain civil rights, In wv.
it has been 10+ years since my offense. felony Entering without Breaking.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Hello there.

-

We are a legal question and answer service and do not assist customers offline -- I can certainly provide you with any information that you need concerning how to approach this. Please let me know if you want me to do that or if you were looking for immediate local assistance offline for these issues.

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am looking for more immediate assistance. My new years resolution is to do what I can to protect my family, which means this nasty old felony has got to go. Ive done research myself and it seems that i need to petition the state circuit court of conviction to obtain a pardon/expungement.

I have the paperwork, and everything I read advises me to use an attorney to handle the process.

Hello again Adam --

-

I am glad I asked because I would probably end up providing you with the same information that you already have. Unfortunately, we cannot even give you specific names of local attorneys to assist you with the process -- just tell you to contact your local county bar association and ask for a referral to attorneys who handle pardons with the and through the governor's office. If you have some specific legal questions that you think I might be able to assist you with, then please feel free to ask them. If not, and you already have the needed paperwork and you know what the process is already, you may want to request a refund so that you will not be hit with charges for this question.

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At this point I need to know if a wv felony is eligible for expungement or a governor pardon is required

I can't find this answer

Hello again Adam --

-

In West Virginia, all misdemeanors, felonies committed as a juvenile (so long as they were not violent crimes), and any first time felony drug offense are eligible for expungement through a district court proceeding (you can get the paperwork at the clerk's office at the criminal court in your county where you reside). Because the felony that you were charged with does not fall into any of the expungeable offenses in the WV code, you will be better off pursuing a pardon through the governor's office. Here is a link to some good information from one of our sister websites http://expungementguide.com/West-Virginia-Expungement.php

- In addition to this, here is some information on seeking a pardon from the Governor's office - http://www.pardon411.com/wiki/West_Virginia_Pardon_Information

-

I hope that helps. I wish that I could have given you a simple way to approach this and that it could be done easily but it appears to take a while.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH