TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My residence in Mobile, Alabama was burglarized. My next door

My residence in Mobile, Alabama was burglarized. My next door neighbor's 19 year old son was arrested for possession of stolen property after he pawned several of the stolen items. There are several additional items not yet recovered or identified as to who stole them. However, he has given several explanations as to have he came into possession of the stolen items he pawned without admitting to the burglary . He has yet to admit to or identify any additional people involved with the burglary. The value of the unrecovered items is approximately $2500. So I plan to file a complaint in the Mobile County Small Claims court.

The neighbor's son is 19 and will more than likely apply and be granted a Youthful Offender status, thus clearing his criminal record. I still intend to file with Mobile County Small Claims court. Based on the principle of "Preponderance of Evidence" I feel I have an excellent chance of being awarded my claim. However, he is currently unemployed so there is a very little chance of me currently collecting. So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is, Is the ruling of the Mobile County Small Claims court recorded in Probate Court or should I file a copy of the judgement in Probate so that in the future I could possibly collect the court's award?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Q: Is the ruling of the Mobile County Small Claims court recorded in Probate Court or should I file a copy of the judgement in Probate so that in the future I could possibly collect the court's award?

A: You will need to file the judgment from the small claims court yourself with the "office of the judge of probate" in the county where the neighbor's son has property. The judgment will then act as a lien on such property. The judgment and lien will last for 10 years, but it can be renewed for an additional 10 years prior to expiration, so be sure that you keep that date on your calendar! It may take many years, but I suspect that one day you'll be able to collect on the judgment.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate my answer (positive feedback is most appreciated).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He currently has no property but my intent is to have a legal record in the event that in the future he has property.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

Recording the judgment in probate will establish such a record, and will automatically act as a lien against property that the boy obtains in his name in the future in that county. You'll want to periodically check up on the boy to be sure that he doesn't one day have property in another county. If he does, then you'll want to file the judgment in that other county as well.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA