Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am a bail bondsman, my client jumped bail, he went back

I am a bail bondsman, my client jumped bail, he went back to saudia abria, court did not pickup his passport at the time he was arrested. Is it possible to get a bomd reduction?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, there's no right for a bail bonding company to file a motion to reduce the bond on a suspect/defendant. The only person that can request a bond reduction is the suspect/defendant.

Thus, since this defendant has jumped bail, the court cannot reduce the bond amount that is due from the bonding company. However, in most jurisdictions, the bail bond company is given a reasonable amount of time to apprehend the defendant before being required to pay the bond amount.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you have others, please REPLY and I'll be glad to respond. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I didn't give you enough or explain the question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when the defendant was first arrested on the warrant, the aresting officiers failed to pickup his passport. bond was set , his attorney got the bond reduced, i bonded him out of jail, he took off back to Saudi, court issued another warrant for f t a; only this time the warrant said to pick up passport. plus the two persons who bonded him out said he would be in court. they loaded him and took him to Houston t., put him on a plane back to S A.

Hi - sorry for the delay. I've been in court all day....

If there was a court order in place that ordered that his passport be collected BEFORE he skipped out of the country, then you would have a right to claim that the law enforcement officials failed to do their job, which would give you a defense to your bond claim.

However, if the order was not in place when he skipped out, but your bond was, then I don't think the outcome of your situation is going to be any different.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Defendent was a college student, charged with forced rape, picked upon a warrant without picvking up his passport. After he bonded court tried to get his passport , but it was to late then. Law enforcement should have collected the passport on the first warrant.?? Would this help get a bond reduction? I understand that I am going to have to pay.

I think it's a good defense to raise IF you can prove that law enforcement should have seized his passport immediately upon arrest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK good job!!!

Thanks. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, good job, thanks

No problem.