Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I want to know if this is letter will help me get an extension

I want to know if this is letter will help me get an extension for court date. Hello sir my name is Hawkins On December 7th 2012 I am scheduled to appear in court to finish up my traffic case. I would like to request an extension of my court date to allow me time to complete paying off my fines and take the traffic course. I have already paid for the traffic course but have not had enough time to complete it by my court date.
My reasons are that I am currently attending college in Minnesota and do not have transportation or funds. Because I am attending college as a full time student and athlete I would like to request a 30 day extension which will allow me time to take care of the fine and class during our Christmas break that start’s December 20th. Please. I thought I would be able to squeeze time into my schedule to take care of my legal matters, however my schedule for school has been hectic. Thank you for your time,

Sincerely Yours,

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

You will have to file a motion to continue the hearing and file it with the court. You can use the basic information you've posted above, but it needs to be in the form of a motion.

You can use the sample form at the following link as a go by: http://www.bedfordmuni.org/documents/MotionforContinuanceCV.pdf

Once you file the motion with the court clerk, you need to send a copy to the judge's office and also to the prosecutor's office. The judge should grant the request if this is the first setting for your case.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Kirk, the link to the PDF does not work. Is there another way you can send to me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Kirk, the link does not work.

They're all pdf files, but they're opening fine on my end.

Here's the content of the first one:

MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE - CIVIL

SAMPLE

IN THE ________ COURT

________________ COUNTY, OHIO

_____________________________ ) CASE NO.______________

(Plaintiff

's Name) )

) JUDGE:________________

vs )

)

_____________________________ ) MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE

(Defendant

's Name)

Now comes (Your name) _______, and moves this Honorable Court for a

continuance of the hearing currently scheduled for (date you are asking for a continuance

from).

The reason for this request is:________________________________________________________________________________________________________

.

Respectfully submitted,

______________________________

(Your Signature)

______________________________

(Print Your name here)

______________________________

(Print Your Current address)

______________________________

(Print Phone Number You can be reached at)

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE

A copy of the foregoing has been sent via regular, U.S. Mail, postage prepaid to:

(Name and Address of Other Party, or Other Party

's Attorney) this ________ day of

______________________, 20___.