Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Daughter arrested for distribution drug charge probation and

Customer Question

Daughter arrested for distribution drug charge probation and then DUI H&R while on probation so I signed her name on our joint car title and sold it. I paid for the entire car and have proof. She has threatened to file forgery charges with the states attorney. What should I do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, while you were right to sell the car, legally you were not allowed to remove her name from the title and sell it without her signature. I am afraid though it is too late to undo what you have done, so the best you can do is make some type of offer with her in writing to settle and have her sign an agreement for some settlement. Generally, most district attorneys would do whatever they could do to come up with an excuse to not file charges and send her to civil court and tell her to sue you for damages.

However, it is still a violation of the law for forging her name and if you are contacted about it, then you should make no statements and you would need to engage an attorney to represent you before making any statements about this incident.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”