How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 90267
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was seen in court today charged with DUI. Judge Jay Wisman

Customer Question

I was seen in court today charged with DUI. Judge Jay Wisman from Cascade District Court was presiding. My public defender and the prosecution agreed on recommended treatment and 30 days work release so I could continue to work at my job. The judge did not go for the lawyers recommendation and gave me 34 days in the county jail. My lawyer is going to plead with another judge next week hoping he will overturn Wisman’s ruling. Wisman decided out of the kindness of his heart that I will not go to jail till next month cause he believes that I will get another DUI during the holidays and wants to sit back and wait for it to happen. I have had 2 alcohol assessments and both agreed that I just needed extensive education. Wisman called me a liar stating that I lied on my assessments. I hardly ever drink, let alone drive as I have an interlock ignition in my car. This is coming from a judge who has had several DUI’s himself. This is complete prejudice on his part. It is not fair. I will lose my job if I have to go to jail. I will not be able to pay my rent, my roommate cannot afford $1,500 a month by himself, I will not be able to pay my fines, probation or anything else. I might as well rot in jail and stay in there to pay my fines. I will not be a productive member of society anymore but become part of the system. I will be ruined financially. Also recently I was in a car accident (not my fault) and was injured due to a rear end collision on the freeway. My car was totaled. I am in therapy 3 times a week for neck and back injuries. How am I to get better if I am in jail and cannot receiv e treatment. I was given pain medication but choose to get therapy instead. Without regular treatment I will need to take the pain meds and I am scared that I will become addicted within 34 days. Please give me some advice. Can another judge overrule decisions and do I have a good chance of getting work release due to me needing therapy. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, another judge can overrule this judge, but as far as it being a "good chance" we cannot evaluate that, since the judge has the discretion in sentencing and as long as the sentence is within legal guidelines you cannot accuse him of prejudice. For it to be prejudice it has to be based only on your age/race/sex/disability. All of your arguments are valid arguments all grounds to have a judge reconsider the sentence, but that does not necessarily mean they will change the sentence if the judge has given good reason for his sentence deviation from the DA's suggested sentence.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like my money back because the site you are employed by charged me another 40 dollars. I did not sign up for a free trial. I was at the grocery store tonight and couldn't pay for my groceries because the 40 dollars they charged for subscription ate up the rest of my bank account. I think you all are a bunch of scammers

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I have not received anything from you and I do not know why they charged you. I will send this to customer service for them to sort out and I apologize for any inconvenience.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.