Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

I was recently released on bail. On a warrant from out of state?

I was recently released on bail. On a warrant from out of state? It turns out the sheriffs dept made a mistake and was not supposed to let me out on bail. do you think i got a case? they let you go free then want you to turn yourself in even though you made a bond and paid bail. what should that person do?

Hello there.

-

Are you asking if you may be able to file a civil lawsuit against the Sheriff's Department for releasing you?

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I am asking? its not fair for the sheriffs dept to tell someone to turn themselves in too cover their behinds because of their mistake.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can i file a lawsuit against their actions?

Hello again Stephanie -

-

I was somewhat surprised by the question -- but the answer is that you cannot file a lawsuit regarding this situation. I actually wish that you could because it might teach them from being incompetent -- but the only lawsuits that you can file against a Sheriff's department are for genuine malfeasance -- such as a bad shooting or the like. In order to remain in compliance with the law, the person should turn themselves in -- but they should ask for and receive the entire bail money that was posted for the release (whomever posted the bail -- it should be returned to them immediately upon surrender of the person it was posted for).

-

-

MARY

-

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So they should turn themselves into the county that released them or tha state that the warrant is originaly from?

Hello again Stephanie --

-

If living in the county that released them, they should go back there and if they refuse to take the person in then they should ask what is the suggested course of action from there (should they try another SHeriff's department in that state or simply wait until the police pick the person up again in that state). Otherwise, the person can return to the state where the warrant was issued and take care of it that way. If you do make the attempt to get the Sheriff to take you back in and they refuse, you should ask for a written confirmation of that so that if it ever comes up in court you can show that you did try to do things properly (the best way would be to return to the issuing state but if you are not financially able to do that then you should keep records of your attempts to have the Sheriffs in your current state take you into custody so it will show that you were NOT ignoring it).

-

If you have no further questions can you please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below to pay me for my time? None of the experts who have provided answers to you will be paid for their time unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face underneath the answer boxes. Because you are on a subscription plan, you will not be charged any additional money to press the ratings boxes -- it acts as a trigger to pay the expert for their time. FYI - I note that you did not press the rating on your prior question and just thought I would let you know that doing so will not cost you any additional money.

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does it mean if your indicted by a grand jury?

Hello again Stephanie --

-

A grand jury is called when the prosecutor is not quite certain of his case and wants confirmation that he should be charging someone with a crime. So he presents all of the evidence to a grand jury and if the grand jury feels that there is enough evidence to charge you with a crime they issue an indictment (called a "true bill" in the law -- why it is called that I do not know). Once they receive an indictment they can put out a warrant for your arrest immediately. Otherwise they have to go to a judge with all of their evidence and get a warrant for arrest that way.

-

MARY

-