Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

if i lose my license in NC and live in NJ will my i also lose my NJ driving privilege

if i lose my license in NC and live in NJ will
my i also lose my NJ driving privilege

Hello there

-

Your NC lawyer could have told you this. The following states are members of the Driver's License Compact -- Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,
Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri,
Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont,
Virginia, XXXXX, XXXXXt Virginia, Wyoming.
Although both Rhode
Island and South Dakota have enacted legislation authorizing entry into the
Compact, neither state has formally adopted the Compact at this time.

-

What this means is that if you have a driving offense in one state that the other state has a substantially similar statute in, then the other state will enforce the penalties -- including the suspension. So, yes, if your license is suspended in NC, it will also be suspended in NJ -- but it generally takes several months to catch up to the NJ system. NJ will enforce the higher suspension. You can also apply for a hardship license in NJ by contacting the DMV there and making an application.

-

MARY