Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

That would be where the problem is then, all the lawyers around

That would be where the problem is then, all the lawyers around this area are too scared to take on a case against the police department. do you have any information on where i could contact someone that may be willing to help? or should i just file a formal complaint against the police department with the Attorney General of kansas? thanks for all the great advise so far, i know have much more knowledge about the sitaution.

JD 1992 :

I'll tell you a little secret about the inside world of the law, the first is that it is extremely rare for lawyers to be afraid to "take on" someone or something.

JD 1992 :

The second is that the excuse "I'm too busy right now" is just lawyer talk for I don't want to mess with it.

JD 1992 :

The issue here is that the lawyers don't want to take it on because you can't make enough money off of it to justify the time they are going to have to spend if they take it on a % basis.

JD 1992 :

If you offer to pay them $20k to do it, you will be amazed at how many of them suddenly have time and are no longer afraid to handle it.

JD 1992 :

Attorney's fees are recoverable in a civil rights suit but, unfortunately and realistically, very, very few people can afford to just a hire a lawyer to sue for something like this.

JD 1992 :

And if you can't afford to do spend the money to do it right then there is really no use in doing it at all.

JD 1992 :

But that doesn't mean you are out of luck.

JD 1992 :

You can try the AG or the ACLU and see if they will help.

JD 1992 :

I think you would have more luck with the ACLU but it doesn't hurt to try the AG just in case.

JD 1992 :

You can also consider suing and handling the lawsuit yourself. There are a lot of good resources out there now that can help you do that and I think it is a pretty strong case.

JD 1992 :

Are you there?

JD 1992 :

I think the chat function may be having problems today so i'm going to switch this to a Q & A format. Please ask any questions you need to ask in this thread.