Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

New Mexico state law 30-7-2 states in part that an individual

New Mexico state law 30-7-2 states in part that an individual without a CCW permit may carry a firearm "loaded or unloaded concealed or in plain vew in your automobile or other personal means of conveyance". If your primary means of conveyance is a motorcycle or a bicycle does this mean you have the same carry rights as if you were in a car?

Samuel-II :

Hi

Customer:

Good Morning ...I am a concealed and carry instructor and this question came up in my last class.

Customer:

NM DPS cant or wont answer it for me

Customer:

what are your thoughts.....and I wont hold you to them lol

Samuel-II :

I have reviewed the statute and it specifically states "in an AUTOMOBILE" or "OTHER private means of conveyance" As such, I suggest if the mode of transportation is a motorcycle than that would pertain.to a motorcycle. However, the intent of the law is not clear at all I suggest the best thing to do is contact your local elected official to the NM General Assembly and request them to get an Attorney General's Opinion on the matter.

Samuel-II :

That is the only way that for certain it can be determined what the intent of the law is

Samuel-II :

as it pertains to "Other CONVEYANCE"

Samuel-II :

I can get you a link for contact information to the General Assembly so you can find your elected representative

Samuel-II :

Only your elected rep may request and AG's opinion

Customer:

ok....thanks so much for your input. I think I will call the Govs. office.

Samuel-II :

It is not something a private individual can do on their own