CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

when you approached about being arrested is a male detective

when you approached about being arrested is a male detective allowed to touch you and search your things without a female officer/detective or police officer present.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand your situation and concern. A male officer should call for a female officer to be present, if one is close in location, prior to conducting a pat down and searching the body of a female. There is nothing wrong with the male officer looking through a womens purse but the officer should avoid patting down the women or searching her, if possible. If the proper procedure was not followed, a complaint can be filed with the department and if this women was a victim of some type of sexual assault, could have a basis for a civil lawsuit and criminal charges, to be filed against the officer, if there was any inappropriate touching.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought a regular police officer needed to be present before a male detective could touch you in any way. He grabbed my purse from my shoulder and started searching it. The female then walked up to us but never introduced herself so I did not know who she was. The police officer was outside of the store. I did not even know he was there until we walked outside.

The taking of the purse would not be a violation. It would need to have a legal basis to take the purse and search it and if he did not, you could have a defense ( if you are charged with something) or a basis to file a complaint against him. If the female officer was not in uniform, she should have atleast addressed who she was, so you knew what her involvement was.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.