Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Monroe MI what is my likely penalty for breaking the open

In Monroe MI what is my likely penalty for breaking the open alcohol container law in a vehical, being the driver, with two prior DUI's in OH in 2004 and 2006?
Thank You,
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

I am sorry for your situation. If you are found guilty of having an open container, under Michigan Vehicle Code 257.624a et seq, this is seen as a misdemeanor, regardless of your prior DUIs.

Generally speaking, the punishment is community service and to undergo substance abuse screening and assessment. The Judge may also sentence you up to one year in prison as well/instead. Normally, however, an open container conviction with no DUI/injury involved does not include jail time.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.