Law91
Law91, Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law for 21 years.
24494801

what was the penal code in the state of Texas sentencing phase

Customer Question

what was the penal code in the state of Texas sentencing phase on capitol murder that the crime occurred in oct 1991 or sentence bill when did life without parole phase pass or was instated
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law91 replied 4 years ago.

Law91 :

Hello. I am a licensed attorney with 21 years experience, and I will help with your question today. Please allow me a minute to read your question.

Law91 :

Here is the statute, with the amendments since before 1991. Please take a look and let me know your questions: https://apps.fastcase.com/Research/Pages/StatutesDocument.aspx?LTID=nDTinZ0yHTGtTUjZqbsfvxMLXIxC6PWoPmWG0zVnCSLw18j3SWliDhMR6r2btJkBpFShHTtkfYy5nGp8mYUV5Vfgrra7nTDNulqYVgQmizCZhqmU435ybPeelz%2fQWK%2bG

JACUSTOMER-i1d8ulot- :

this person was charged for capitol murder that happened 21 yrs ago so the sentenced he recieved should he had been sentenced from the law in 1991

JACUSTOMER-i1d8ulot- :

what was the law in Oct 1991

JACUSTOMER-i1d8ulot- :

he was sentenced life without parole and was deprieved being sentenced by the jury

Law91 :

The jury determines guilt or innocence, then the sentence is determined. What was the choice of the jury at that time? Was it death or life without parole? Or , was there another choice? I will look at the statute again.

JACUSTOMER-i1d8ulot- :

Life without parole in May 2011 he filed defendants Election to Punishments choose for jury to decide punishment

JACUSTOMER-i1d8ulot- :

he is in the process of filing for an appeal 1st trial mistrial misconduct of juror 2nd trial day nof verdict a juror was removed due to a disability so was replaced by alternate

Law91 :

I am having trouble finding the law back in 1991. I am going to opt out, and suggest that you ask for TexasAtty to answer your question. He may know the answer right away. Will that be alright with you?