xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work

im suppost to write the judge and ask her to drop my charges

im suppost to write the judge and ask her to drop my charges i took the plea in abanence and got 12 months bench probation and a 310.00 fine she told me to write her in febuary asking to drop my charges what should i say in the letter can u help me please
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Pearl.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Did you complete all of the terms of your probation?

What state are you in?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am in utah i my fine is paid my propbation will be up in febuary

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.

A plea in abeyance is an agreement whereby,
if you comply with certain conditions given by the court, the criminal
case against you will be dismissed. Once the case is
dismissed, you will normally be eligible to have the matter expunged after 30 days.

The benefits of having your plea held in abeyance offer are substantial.
But there are risks as well.

As part of the plea in abeyance agreement, you must plead guilty (or
sometimes a no contest plea). That plea is not "entered" as a conviction. Instead, if you follow through with what the court orders, the case is dismissed. But if you do not follow through with what the court has ordered, that plea can be entered and become a conviction, and you can be sentenced to jail or prison.

You should tell the judge that you appreciate the opportunity to keep your record clean. You should further indicate that you have completed all of the terms of the bench probation set by the judge, including the payment of fines/costs. You should also ask that the matter be expunged.

You should REALLY emphasize that you have LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON from this matter and that you will never be in front of the judge again for any criminal matter.

Again, you should THANK the judge for his/her kindness and his/her confidence in you and you did not let the judge down.

It has been my pleasure to assist you
today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No
expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances.

But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to
the facts you've described so that you can better understand the "why" of
things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the
Reply tab.

If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then
please rate the answer with "excellent service" so that I receive credit for
assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for
assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a
little" or "I expected more,"
then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the
REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you
need
and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to
provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks

xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience: Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work