Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Myself and my girlfriend got in a fight and pa state police

Myself and my girlfriend got in a fight and pa state police came and gave me a harrasment charge. but can they make my 16year old daughter and her 11 year old daughter give a written statement without my permission or concent or can they be supeod to testify in District Justice court

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

The state police cannot FORCE the children to give a written or oral statement, but if the children do so voluntarily, then that is legal. Also, you don't have to give the state police or the children permission before a statement is given/taken.

Under Pennsylvania law, law enforcement officers can interview, take statements, etc. without parental consent.

Also, the children could be subpoenaed to appear in court and provide testimony regarding the incident.

The only time Pennsylvania law require a parent/guardian to be contacted is if the child is detained or arrested.