Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

Customer Question

My license was suspended in the state of SC two years ago after pleading guilty to a DUI charge. It was my first one. I now live in New orleans, LA. Can I now apply for and get my LA drivers license?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Once you get your S.C. license reinstated, you can transfer it to a LA license. However, the states all use a database to share information. If Lousiana sees that your South Carolina license is suspended due to a DUI, they will suspend your ability to drive in LA until you take care of the S.C. suspension. So, unfortunately, you will you to deal with the suspension, even if you no longer need a S.C. license.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.