Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

my son had an car accident last night fled the seen of the

my son had an car accident last night fled the seen of the accident , if he turns himself in now will he have to spend the weekend in jail. state of mass.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This situation is governed by Massachusetts Gen. Laws, chapter 90, Section 24(2)(a). It's a misdemeanor. A person who leaves the scene of an accident causing damage to property without first giving his name, address, and registration number can be punished by fines of $20-$200, two weeks to two years imprisonment, or both. This is a misdemeanor, which usually means that he would be given a court date and told when to appear for the arraignment. They would also be more likely to ask him to turn himself in on Monday than to take him into custody over the weekend. That doesn't mean that it's not possible that he would have to spend the weekend in jail. If he does, any time served over the weekend could be counted toward the two week minimum sentence.

If he turns himself in, that may help him negotiate a lower sentence. The fines and penalties increase if anyone was injured or killed in the accident, as does the likelihood that police would take him into custody.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.