Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Is it illegal for me to buy a replica Rolex from someone selling

Customer Question

Is it illegal for me to buy a replica Rolex from someone selling them on craigslist?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

Replica Rolexes are sold in violation of the intellectual property rights of Rolex. The seller could, if discovered, have his wares confiscated. And it is unlawful for you to buy from him. That said, it's usually the seller rather than the buyer who gets targeted by the law here, but it's no more legal for you to possess it than for him to sell it. And technically, yours can be confiscated too.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So lets say I decide to buy one from him today and let's say the cops were watching him and they confront us, can I be arrested at the scene for buying one?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

Actually, yes, you could both be arrested if police were to witness the transaction, but again, it's not likely to happen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks. Why do you say it's not likely to happen?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

In my experience, there are a lot of replica designer goods sold everywhere. And while manufacturers and designers vigilantly protect their copyrights and intellectual property rights, they focus on the seller on sites like eBay and on unlicensed street vendors.

I am not accustomed to seeing sting operations run for this type of a crime.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Awesome one last question or maybe it's more of a comment. He is selling them on Craigslist. I don't know if this makes a difference

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

If it's local pick up, then I don't think it makes a difference. If it's a mail transaction, the odds are better that you won't get the watch at all then that you'd get arrested.