LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

can you get a dui if the officer did not observe you drive your vehicle and the vehicle wa

can you get a dui if the officer did not observe you drive your vehicle and the vehicle was parked in a nearby location.
Good morning from southeast Georgia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.

A DUI may be given regardless of whether you actually are seen operating your car. Just being in the vehicle with the keys is sufficient to be arrested and charged with DUI.

However, if you are found outside the vehicle, and no one saw you driving the vehicle, then you may defend against the charge. The fact that your vehicle is parked nearby and you are intoxicated is insufficient to prove DUI in GA.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you.
Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was not in the vehicle with the keys at the time of occurrance and was not oberved driving the vehlcle after it was parked nor was i observed in or near the vehicle. i was across the street try to get information about a traffic accident involving 3 daughters, an 30 day infant grandchild, and another passenger when the officer whom did not observe me in my vehicle or near it gave a breatherlizer test and fail.

Good morning,

You seem to have a viable defense. In order to be convicted, it will have to be proven that you operated the vehicle in an intoxicated condition. If you have some reasonable explanation for how and why your car got where it was parked without you driving it there while intoxicated---then you will likely win your case.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,