Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

34 year old man (never previously arrested) was arrested for

34 year old man (never previously arrested) was arrested for arranging on the web to meet a 14 year old girl. They never met as the "girl" was a plant and man was arrested at the meeting place. Served 2.5 years. State appointed psychologist stated the arrested man was not deemed to be a repeat offender or a danger to children. Prison counselors stated that man was an excellent inmate who took charge of his own improvement during counseling sessions at the prison. Man has been employed in one job since his release from prison. He is a skilled craftsman well liked by his employer. He has been invited by a nearby college to give demonstrations to students on the particular skill he uses in his job having to do with the use of fiber glass in building cars and boats. The crime was committed in Ct. where the man currently lives.
I am sorry to hear this. I presume he was placed on lifetime registration for this offense? What is your actual question for us tonight?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the chances of getting the conviction expunged? I don't know if there a lifetime registration. How would I know?

I am afraid that this type of case cannot be expunged in CT, as it is a sex offense. You have to file for a pardon through the governor's board and pardon and parole and the chances of a pardon are about 30% of the applications submitted are granted a pardon. You have to wait for 5 years from the completion of your sentence to apply for a pardon and you will need letters from community leaders as well as all of the counselors you mentioned regarding the unlikely chance of you offending again and how you are a productive member of society and not a danger to society.

You have a 10 year registration in CT, unless your crime was sexually violent, which this does not sound to be. The 10 years is from completion of sentence.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the impact of registration? What happens at the end of the registration period? What does it mean for the convicted?

The impact of registration means you have to notify the police in any place where you will be staying within 3 days of arrival in CT. Also, if you vacation in many other states, such as FL for example, you have to register there if you will be there for 5 days or it is a felony and you have to check with each state you are visiting for their rules on registration and must comply with them. Additionally, sex offenders are not allowed on school grounds and cannot live near schools or playgrounds and the probation office will give you a list of the sex offender registration compliance requirements. At the end of the registration in CT, you no longer have to register, but there are some states, such as FL and TX and LA that even if you do not have to register in your state any longer, you would have to still register there because their laws are different and you have to comply with their laws as long as you have the conviction and have not been pardoned.