LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

If someone pretends to be another person on a website and entraps

Customer Question

If someone pretends to be another person on a website and entraps you to say things that can be used against you is that entrapment?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

You asked: If someone pretends to be another person on a website and entraps you to say things that can be used against you is that entrapment? The reality is the best that can be said is maybe. It might be entrapment---but not always.

Entrapment is not a crime, but a Defense to a criminal charge. It is not illegal to pretend to be someone else online in an attempt to get evidence of a crime.

The defense strategy of Entrapment to criminal prosecution must be based on a claim, and proof, that a government agent induced a person to commit a crime which the person was otherwise unlikely to commit. If this is a first offense, and it can not be shown that you have a propensity to commit the crime in the first place---that is when a defense of entrapment will work most often. This is a very technical are of the law and a seasoned Criminal Defense attorney is really necessary to make this sort of a defense work.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug