Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

I got a traffic citation for driving without prescription glasses.

I got a traffic citation for driving without prescription glasses. A person hit me from behind and another hit that person from behind as well. So, 3 cars were involved. I have to appear before the court. What consequences can I face. Is it going to be a fine or jailtime. This is the first time I have got a traffic citation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 4 years ago.
You don't have to worry about jail time. It will just be a fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What makes you so certain? I guess experience!!!! I am still worried and this will be my first time appearing before the judge. What should I say to the judge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, I actually got a traffic citation for over speeding 2 years back.
In 14 years I have never seen anyone do jail time for a traffic citation such as that.

Ask what your fine will be if you plead guilty and if you can keep it off your traffic record. There may be a prosecutor there you can talk to before hand who can explain what the penalty will be.

Try not to worry. If people went to jail for things like this, everyone would be in jail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't afford an attorney. I guess my only option is to appear myself. By saying "Ask what your fine will be if you plead guilty and if you can keep it off your traffic record", did you mean ask an attorney or the judge? Thanks.
The judge or the prosecutor. You do not need an attorney for a minor traffic ticket like this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You suggested in your answer above "Ask what your fine will be if you plead guilty and if you can keep it off your traffic record." Please tell me, who should I ask what you suggested above? The court clerk??
The judge or the prosecutor.