CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I shoplifted 625 dollars from a department store and i have

Customer Question

I shoplifted 625 dollars from a department store and i have court on monday.This is my first offense and first time i have ever been in trouble with the law.What am i facing
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 3 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern. If convicted of this, you could face informal probation, up to six months in a county jail, and/or a maximum $1,000 fine. These are the maximum penalties which can be imposed and as a first time offender, it is highly unlikely that you would be sent to jail. Probation, is anything, is a greater possibility but since it is your first offense, you are likely to be eligible to enter into a diversion program, offered by the court. If you are interested in having the charges dismissed and keeping your record clean, you can ask for this when you appear on Monday. It often requires you staying out of trouble for 3-6 months, paying a fine/costs, community service and possible taking a shoplifters awareness class. If you do everything that is required, the State normally dismissed the charges. Of course, you have every legal right to fight this and take the case to trial, making the State prove the charges against you, beyond a reasonable doubt. You can also work out a plea deal with the State, if you think that would be in your best interest and avoid having to go through the diversion program, but this would result in it appearing on your record.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Hi. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!