Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was charged with a felony in 2000. The result was: 1.)

Customer Question

I was charged with a felony in 2000. The result was:

1.) Plead guilty to a misdemeanor
2.) Was issued a deferred judgment on the felony charge which was dismissed June of 2001 on the condition of finishing 3 years probation and community service which I did without any further issue.

Given this situation can I legally purchase a firearm in the State of Colorado?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
If the felony charge was actually dismissed in 2001, which you have to verify, then you can indeed purchase a firearm. The law states that you have to be "convicted" of a felony and if the charge was dismissed you were not convicted. The only exception to this is if the charges against you were domestic violence type charges and then even a misdemeanor domestic violence charge can prevent you from purchasing a firearm and you need to go to the court to get a waiver or rehabilitation order issued by the court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I received a report from the Colorado Bureau of Investigations as follows:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Given this report would you assume that the felony portion has been in fact dismissed and I am eligible?

Thanks!

It clearly says felony "dismissed" on 6/14/01, so this means you do not have a felony conviction. Thus, according to the record you are eligible.