CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I called 911 to get help, i do not know the law, but I call

I called 911 to get help, i do not know the law, but I call for help in panic, my anti had heart attack and I was coming back from the hospital, I came from an other country 16 years ago. Officer stop me ask for ID, I asked what i do, he told me I blacked the intersection, which I did not. I did not see any sign as I stop behind the car in front of me I was in the middle lane and it was dark and raining. So as the traffic signal turn green I start moving with the traffic. So the officer stop me asked for id I gave it to him, and I called 911 for help asking them I did not do anything officer stop I need help. Then the office came with it and citation and told me he is going to arrest me if i do not end the call with 911. so as my 3 kids in my van heard that they start crying in panic as I was in panic too. so I ended the call and he gave me citation #811.265. and went away. I start driving and stop after few blocks and call 911 in panic again for help. this time telling them my kids are crying and officer told me to arrest me if I do not end the call, so I am calling back with the information what happened. I did not file any complane against the officer although the supervisor asked to give him my address and name and he can have sargent call me with officer problem. I told him I am not filing complane against officer I just want help I feel unjust, and sacred of officer arrest me. so end the call with that and went home 15 min later same police officer who is county sherrif and local police car came and gave citation # XXXXX improper use of 911 reporting system. it does not list how much fine but it say must appear in court on 12/03/12. also officer told me, you called 911 I told him I do not know the law I am from an other country and just asked for help with the situation. so I ask for your help please. What should I do. I live in Salem Oregon. it happend in salem, or. 

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation. Is this something you want to fight and take to trial or would you rather resolve it?

Hi. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is best option and how to fix the problem?

I certainly understand your concern. Improper use of an emergency reporting system is a Class A misdemeanor which can carry with it, a heavy fine, probation or even jail. As a first time offender, it is not likely that you will be placed on probation or jail but it is something to be aware of. You may want to retain an attorney and fight this, since you may have a defense. The reason I say that, is because if you reasonable believe, as stated within the statute/code that this was an emergency and needed to preserve human life, you may have a defense. Moreover, the other citation is a traffic infraction and carries with it a fine and possible points on your license. You need to decide if you want to take this to trial and make the State prove the charges against you or try and resolve it with a plea deal. If you take a plea, you could be looking at a fine and court costs, as a first time offender, charge with these two things. If you want to fight it, you need to hire an attorney, to act in your best interest, if you are not familiar with the law and court system.

A person commits the crime of improper use of an emergency reporting system if the person knowingly:

(a) Calls a 9-1-1 emergency reporting system or the School Safety Hotline for a purpose other than to report a situation that the person reasonably believes requires prompt service in order to preserve human life or property; or

(b) Allows another person to use telephone equipment owned, rented or leased by or under the control of the person to call a 9-1-1 emergency reporting system or the School Safety Hotline for a purpose other than to report a situation that the other person reasonably believes requires prompt service in order to preserve human life or property

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will happend to me i just call for help being in my situation and what should i do for 911 call citation.
I do not want jail i am good person.
It is highly unlikely that you will go to jail, for something like this, based on what you stated above. When you go to court, you can ask for a plea offer to resolve this and see what the prosecutor has to say. If you are comfortable resolving the case, you can accept it, pay the fines/costs and comply with any other conditions imposed. If you are unsure what to do, you need to hire an attorney, so they can explain it to you as well as look over the facts of the case and see if you have any legal defenses. If you thought you were in danger and needed help to save your life, you could have a defense. However, if there was no danger, it may not be a favorable case to go to trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With your experience what will happend and about how much cost of fine and what other conditions there maybe. I am very nervous i i do not know about what to do.
For the traffic violation, the fine could likely be between $130-$260, depending on how clean your driving record is. Moreover, if you take a plea deal, the State may agree to dismiss the infraction, so you may not have to pay anything on that nor worry about points. On the improper use charge, you could be looking at fines and cost around $300 or more. That is at the discretion of the Judge. If you do not know what to do, you have two options. The first would be to hire a criminal defense attorney and allow them to handle the case for you and act in your best interest. If you do not want to do that, then you would need to wait until court and ask what options you have, outside of going to trial. Once they tell you what the outcome will be, you can either accept the offer or ask for more time to come back and think about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i call the court to find out what the outcome is and fine on monday or do i have to wait for the date which is 12/03/12.
You will have to wait until your court date, since that is at the discretion of the court and the clerk of court, who you would speak to, would not be able to tell you.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.