Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I pled nolo contendre to a DWI misdemeanor seven years ago.

I pled nolo contendre to a DWI misdemeanor seven years ago. I was told by the court that after I completed community service and paid fines and probation was done successfully that it would be deferred adjudication and it would not appear on a background check. I have cleared successfully for several positions until recently and it is suddenly showing back up. I paid for Texas Fresh Start to research this and they said there is NO deferred adjudication and I was not eligible for expungement or sealing. How did this happen and is there anything I can do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Have you actually gone to look at the case file in the court to determine if there was a deferred adjudication or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I guess that's my next step. Do I need to go directly to the courthouse or is it available online? I really am confused that it never showed up until seven years later! I read that background check companies can get through expungements and deferred adjudications. I know there are laws that prevent an employer from asking certain questions not related to your job. I have been with the same employer for five years and I am concerned because I did not disclose this information. But I was also cleared for employment then. Another employer I applied to told me about this. I explained I was under the impression that it was DA and therefore not reportable.

You need to go to the court directly to examine the court file to see for yourself what it states and do not rely on online records which may not be accurate. Background check companies can only find records that are available in the public records somewhere and they find things because many times some computer records that were published online remain, but you need to search your name online to try to find out and also in a background check, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act they must provide you with a copy of the information they discovered so you can dispute it or have it corrected.

As far as the DA, you have to find the court record to find what it says in the file about that and if you find it was a DA and you are eligible for expungement, file for expungement right then while you are at the court clerk's office and they have blank motions for expungement for you to complete and file.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will do that next week. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you. Keep me posted please.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience