INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
11313492

I left my kid in the car for 12 minutes. I know! I shouldnt

I left my kid in the car for 12 minutes. I know! I shouldn't have. There are extenuating circumstances... like, he hasn't been sleeping well since his Dad got stranded in NYC by the hurricane and he finally fell asleep in the car and I didn't want to wake him to go in the grocery store... I am not a good parent but I'm not awful. I'm human. My question is- I don't know what to do- do IO just pay the fine? Do I go to court and explain myself to the judge? I know what I did was wrong... I'm not sure what I should do legally. If I admit I'm wrong, can they take my kid away? I also cannot read the part of the ticket that tells me when my court date is... Thank you,
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma. Best not to contest it and draw attention to what happened. Best to either pay it or have a local lawyer seek to negotiate it down. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. I know that in some states, if the citation isn't legible (down to the signature of the officer) then you can contest it and get it thrown out- is that true in Oregon? My previous question also wasn't answered- if I pay the fine, admit what I did was wrong, does that give them the right to take my baby away?

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 1 year ago.
If not legible can be basis to have it dismissed. Paying fine is not an admission of liability or misconduct. Best to pay and resolve or otherwise seek to dismiss based on it not being legible. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions