Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Is this a pretty surefire way of winning in this summary trial? A

Customer Question

Is this a pretty surefire way of winning in this summary trial?

A relative of mine got a summary trial notice in the mail regarding a private criminal complaint (it was filed by a neighbor). The criminal charge listed on there is Harassment. Disturbance and criminal mischief were also on there, but they got crossed off before the paper was photocopied and mailed. The complaint basically says that my relative put a concealed spike board on a shared driveway and that caused the neighbor's two tires to get popped. The complaint also lists a lot of other disputes that she had with my relative over the past few years. The complaints she has lack merit (things like there being dust in the air when my relative drives on the road, etc). Regarding this spike board, the neighbor is saying that she saw my relative doing stuff around the shared driveway and that my relative was "hiding something". My relative told me that he did not put a spike board on the road. On that day, he was doing yard work for the last time in the season. When he was by the shared driveway, he was rearranging a rock line that marks the end of his property, not what the neighbor is saying. He has two witnesses who were there and can back this claim up. My relative also said that he did not even hear about the spike board from the police, rather he only heard about it when he got the private complaint in the mail.

Does he have a good chance of being found not guilty with this type of defense?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Is this going to be a trial to the judge or a trial to a jury?

Customer:

It's a summary trial at one of these little magisterial district courts, so no jury.

Customer:

Neither party involved has any prior criminal history

JD 1992 :

Based on what you have put forth then it does seem like he would have a good chance at winning.

JD 1992 :

The burden of proof is one the other side and it doesn't sound like they have anything other than "suspicion".

JD 1992 :

He should also move to strike anything that is not connected with this particular incident he is being accused of.

Customer:

Would having copies of the police reports be of any use to my relative or not really? Basically, this neighbor of his is saying that he's harrassing her and that she's afraid to use that part of the driveway. She has listed all of these other minute things as part of her evidence, as it appears on the complaint sheet.

Customer:

The bulk of the argument seems to be with the spike board

JD 1992 :

Not really, they're not admissible unless you subpoena a police records custodian to "prove them up".

JD 1992 :

She can certainly be questioned about other complaints that she called in and the police investigated and dropped.

Customer:

Yes, I'm just wondering why the police never even said anything about the spike board to him

Customer:

He is gone during most of the day, so maybe they knocked and left

Customer:

but they could have left a note in his mailbox or called him (since they have his number)

JD 1992 :

Probably because there is no evidence to support that he was involved in it in any way.

JD 1992 :

Did they file the charges or did she?

Customer:

He never heard a peep out of the police, he didnt even find out about the event until he got the private complaint in the mail over a month later

Customer:

she filed the charge

JD 1992 :

She probably filed because the police wouldn't. This isn't unusual in a case where there have been a number of unsubstantiated complaints. They start just doing a cursory investigation if they do any at all.

Customer:

alright, thanks for your help, this clarifies a lot for my family

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.