CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I just lost my wallet with a Fake US ID of my pic and my name.

I just lost my wallet with a Fake US ID of my pic and my name. I'm an international student on visa. If the cops contact me about my wallet, should I ignore it or should I answer and say that the ID was not mine?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern. Besides the ID, what other information was in the wallet, to link it to you? Was there any other ID, credit cards or personal information?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was my student ID and credit card. All is under the same name.

Just to be clear, everything in the wallet was under a fake name?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything in the wallet is under my real name. The Fake ID and student ID both has my real picture on it.

Thank you for that additional information. It is certainly going to be hard to say that the fake ID is not yours, when it has your picture on it. The police are going to be very suspicious, when things don't match up. As such, this can be filed as a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the facts and type of ID which you are using, specifically being one that was altered or one that is completely fake. The decision to ignore a call from the police is entirely up to you and you have to realize, that if you were to go to the station to pick up your wallet and its contents, they have likely looked through it and can see that the ID's are fake. This is something which could also have an effect on your Visa, since it is a crime, so you need to be aware of that. It may be in your best interest to consider it lost and start trying to obtain a new ID, along with your credit cards and anything else that was valuable inside and not try and obtain it back or get involved, with having to explain why you have false identification. That decision is entirely up to you but just be ready, if you try to claim it, when they contact you, to explain why your information does not match up and the fact that you could be charged with a crime.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I should entirely ignore if the Police contacts me about my wallet? Can they charge me if I don't go and pick up my wallet / admit to the fake ID? Should I hire a private attorney?

The police can charge you for possessing the fake ID. That is something which you should be aware of. If you are contacted and they ask you to come in, it would be at that time, that you should seek the representation of a criminal defense attorney. You are not obligated to go in but if you do not, they could, if they wanted to, get an arrest warrant and charge you. There is no way of knowing what they will do. THey may be contacting you to say someone turned in your wallet and to come get it or they could escalate the matter, into a criminal investigation.