JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

On tues. I had a drs. appointment. I waited alone in the waiting

Customer Question

On tues. I had a drs. appointment. I waited alone in the waiting room for about 40 mins. The dr and her patient came out, the patient left. My appointment lasted about an hour. When I came back to the waiting room I saw a wallet on the floor, picked it up, and handed it to the dr. After getting back home the dr called and said the owner of the wallet had claimed it and said $80 was missing. Two days later the dr said the police want to talk to me and gave me an officers card. I called the # XXXXX left my #. Now what should I do? I didn't take the money.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. If the officer calls you back, you are free to explain what you did just here in your question.

Or, you can choose to not answer any of the officer's questions.

From what you've explained, there's nothing to be concerned about. The officer is just following up on a reported problem. No one is accusing you of theft. The officer is just following up.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Replyf tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Bad Service" or "Poor Service," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.