Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a felony going back 10 years and i recently took an

Customer Question

I have a felony going back 10 years and i recently took an hha course and recieved a certificate... i wanted to know can i work as hha having a felony ? cause i understand that they now do criminal backround checks and i wanna avoid any embaresment
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

The health profession is pretty restrictive, and the felony may cause you difficulty getting a license if you need one as well. If you haven't already gotten one, apply to get a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities.

This is a document that will restore all of your civil rights (except firearms rights and right to run for office) and can protect you from discrimination on the job and housing front. With it you cannot be denied a license, employment or housing solely because of your criminal history. You would be able to sue if they violate that.

You can find out more about what it does and doesn't do and download the forms here. If you want to apply for one, you obtain it through the Department of Parole.

Good luck!