Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

my son got a ticket last night in Sata Barbara California.

my son got a ticket last night in Sata Barbara California. He was in a home. Police came and as he left,police said he was drunk,underage(19). Police took him to county jail for night and released him after 13 hours. Was not driving. did not breathalize or test him.gave him citation 647(f)pc....what does this mean?
Dear JACUSTOMER - This is a misdemeanor charge under the disorderly conduct statute so they did not have to give him a BAC test if he appeared to be under the influence. Since he is an adult he can request a court appointed attorney if he cannot afford one and I always recommend having counsel in any criminal case. I have no way of predicting the outcome of any court case but if he has no prior record and has already spent time in jail it is highly unlikely he would be sentenced to additional jail time. The most likely penalty would be a fine and probation. An attorney can review the case to make certain all of his rights are protected and possibly get the prosecutor to consider a reduction of the charges to some minor offense that wouldn't go on his record. If convicted of this it will be on his record however it is certainly not a serious offense such as theft or assault.