Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I sent a letter to a person and it said that I was afraid of

Customer Question

I sent a letter to a person and it said that I was afraid of going to jail for rape. I wrote the letter to bait the person into letting me inside their head so I could find out if this person was a rapist.

I found out this person was a rapist and knew about a person he raped, the victim never called the police.

When I told the rapist I would call the police he said he would get me in trouble be saying I helped. I didn't help and wasn't at the crime scene.

If I call the police will they charge me with a crime?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

No. Police need some evidence that you were actually involved before they can charge you with a crime. If the only evidence that they have is a statement from the person that you just reported as a rapist, that's not enough evidence. They can't charge you just because the other person wants them to do so.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It wouldn't be just a statement, I actually sent that person a letter trying to get him to go to work out of town with me. I sent him the letter, so I could trick him and get inside his head, so he would admit things to me.

I told him in the letter that he was the only person that understood me and that I was afraid of going to jail for rape. I sent him this letter a good 6-9 months after I found out that he was possibly the rapist.

I wasn't 100% he was the rapist at that time, but I was 90% sure. I tricked him into admitting the rape while I had him on speaker phone with his own mother. However; he doesn't know that the woman never reported the rape, even though I made him think she did.

Her husband was looking to kill or torture or cut off body parts of the rapist. If they would of called the police I would of went to the police and told them, but I was worried if I told the husband who the rapist was, I'd become an accessory to murder or whatever he had in mind.

You're not an accessory to murder unless you help plan or carry out a murder. However, if you have information about both who the rapist is and that the husband of the victim wants to harm that person, those are usually both pieces of information that would be given to the police. If the person who did this is put in jail, the husband won't have any ability to harm him.

There is nothing illegal in the letter that you sent to the rapist. It's not entrapment, because you're not a police officer, and entrapment only applies to the police. So, based on the information you've provided, I don't see a crime that you could be charged with at this point.