Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

i had a felony conviction in california 25 years ago,it has

i had a felony conviction in california 25 years ago,it has since been espunged but that does not restore my gun rights.i now live in arizona & want to know if i can own a muzzleloader
.
The short answer is no, unless you get your firearm rights restored in CA. In AZ, a felon is prohibited from possession a firearm. Under the definition of "firearm" it states:
.

4. "Firearm" means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will expel, is designed to expel or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. Firearm does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

.
So since a muzzleloader expels a projectile by an explosion, it is considered a firearm and is prohibited for a felon to possess one.
.
Since the conviction was in CA, it is CA law that would apply to the situation regarding the restoration of your gun rights. Unfortunately, California expungement law explicitly prohibits restoring one's gun rights following a felony conviction.

.

The only way to restore your firearms rights following a straight felony conviction is to obtain either a CA certificate of rehabilitation or a CA Governor's pardon. If you successfully obtain either of these forms of relief, your gun rights will be restored subject to one final limitation: if you have suffered any felony conviction that involved the use of a dangerous weapon, there is no way to restore your firearms rights.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation but I don't make the laws, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.