How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31728
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 19 year old son has been staying with his 16 year old girlfriend

Resolved Question:

my 19 year old son has been staying with his 16 year old girlfriend and her parents, they have been together for 3 years. Her parents have kicked her out of the house, they are staying with me now. her mom says she will sign a paper that says she can move out. My question is, if they do get an apartment together can my son get into trouble because she is 16 even with her parents permission?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

There are a couple of things to be aware of (for your adult son)

1. The age of consent for sexual relations is 16. If she is at least 16, and is consenting to sexual relations, your son would not be subject to statutory rape charges. That is good.

2. Ohio does not have "emancipation laws" there is no way for he to go to court and have court emancipate her...that is unless they marry or she enlists into the military. At that point she is emancipated an no longer a minor.

Since she is a minor, her parents are legally responsible for her care and wellbeing.

And that lead to the next issue. Under Ohio Revised Code 2919.24, it is a crime to "contribute to the delinquency of a minor"

This law basically states if an adult helps make a child "unruly" they can be criminally prosecuted.

What is "unruly"?

The law defines that as

As used in this chapter, “unruly child” includes any of the following:

(A) Any child who does not submit to the reasonable control of the child’s parents, teachers, guardian, or custodian, by reason of being wayward or habitually disobedient;

(B) Any child who is an habitual truant from school and who previously has not been adjudicated an unruly child for being an habitual truant;

(C) Any child who behaves in a manner as to injure or endanger the child’s own health or morals or the health or morals of others;
(D) Any child who violates a law, other than division (C) of section 2907.39, division (A) of section 2923.211, division (C)(1) or (D) of section 2925.55, or section 2151.87 of the Revised Code, that is applicable only to a child.

So I would NOT move in with this child if they are not married or she is not otherwise emancipated (by enlisting in the military). If he does? He runs the risk of prosecution for contributing to her delinquency

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we live in Iowa not Ohio... does this change your answer?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Ahh...sorry...let me pull the code for IA

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
IA is actually better...well, it is the same in many respect. The age of consent is the same. And the laws for delinquency similar (I will post that below...the one of concern is the one about "immoral behavior" since arguably if they are living together and engaged in sexual relations outside of marriage that is least as far as the criminal law is concerned)

The one difference for IA is that they have an emancipation law. So she can emancipate. If they move in together, and she files to emancipate and her parent(s) support that? Then I would expect the court to approve it.

So if she files for emancipation, then I would not think this will be an issue.

I will post the law for that below...she would do well to have a local attorney file this for her

Here is the law on contributing to delinquency of minor

It shall be unlawful:
1. To encourage any child under eighteen years of age to commit
any act of delinquency defined in chapter 232.
2. To knowingly send, cause to be sent, or induce to go, any
child under the age of eighteen to any of the following:
a. A brothel or other premises used for the purposes of
prostitution, with the intent that the child engage the services of a
b. An unlicensed premises where alcoholic liquor, wine, or
beer is unlawfully sold or kept for sale.
c. Any premises the use of which constitutes a violation of
chapter 717A, or section 725.5 or 725.10.
3. To knowingly encourage, contribute, or in any manner cause
such child to violate any law of this state, or any ordinance of any
4. To knowingly permit, encourage, or cause such child to be
guilty of any vicious or immoral conduct.
5. For a parent willfully to fail to support the parent's child
under eighteen years of age whom the parent has a legal obligation to

Here is the law on emancipation

1. A minor who desires to become emancipated may file a petition
for an order of emancipation in juvenile court if all of the
following apply:
a. The minor is sixteen years of age or older.
b. The minor is a resident of this state.
c. The minor is not in the care, custody, or control of the
2. A petition filed pursuant to this section shall contain the
a. The petitioner's name, mailing address, and date of birth.

b. The name and mailing address of the petitioner's parents
or legal guardian.
c. Specific facts to support the petition including but not
limited to the following:
(1) The minor has demonstrated financial self-sufficiency,
including proof of employment or other means of support, which does
not include assistance or subsidies from a federal, state, or local
governmental agency.
(2) The minor has demonstrated an ability to manage the personal
affairs of the minor.
(3) The minor has demonstrated an ability and commitment to
obtain and maintain education, vocational training, or employment.
(4) Any other information considered necessary to support the
d. Any one of the following:
(1) Documentation that the minor has been living on the minor's
own for at least three consecutive months.
(2) A statement explaining the reasons the minor believes the
home of the minor's parents or legal guardian is not a healthy or
safe environment.
(3) A notarized statement that contains written consent to
emancipation by the minor's parents or legal guardian.
3. The court shall hold a hearing on the petition within ninety
days of the filing of the petition. Notice of the hearing, with a
copy of the petition attached, shall be served by personal service on
the minor's parent or legal guardian at least thirty days prior to
the hearing date. Any other parties shall be notified as provided by
the rules of civil procedure for service of an original notice.
4. The minor may participate in the court proceedings on the
minor's own behalf, or may be represented by the minor's own counsel,
or the court may appoint a guardian ad litem on behalf of the minor.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31728
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
P. Simmons and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions