LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I have a a failure to appear in court from a misdemeanor of

I have a a failure to appear in court from a misdemeanor of petty theft ( from three years ago)...if i turn myslef in what time or bond am ilooking at about?

If i get a public deffender what will that help....will they come to court with me ...how long apprxfor the court date ?

Good morning Stephanie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.

If you make contact with the criminal court clerk's office in the county where the warrant is out of, they can tell you the bond amount. You go in and pay that and you will remain free until your court date on the underlying charge as well as the Failure to Appear.

I would expect the bond to be about $1,000. If you are caught by police before you make arrangements to post the bond, then you will be held in jail until the court can hear your matter.

A first offense of petty theft generally doesn't carry jail time and even though you missed the court hearing, you may still avoid jail on the charge. You'll want an attorney or a public defender thought to assist you in reaching a plea agreement.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can i call the court and send them a check...(it is kind of far away) how long willthe Court date be after i give bond.. thanks!!

You can pay by mail, you can even have a local attorney go in and pay for you. After you bond out, you will generally have the first hearing within a few days to a couple of weeks.

Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug