Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Had a DUI in 1993, settled the case in 1999. I had to pay

Had a DUI in 1993, settled the case in 1999. I had to pay a fine and go to Alcohol education classes to settle the case, in which I did. I have been stopped twice in Mass, in which I was told that I have a suspended license, but I have a NY license. I don't recall having to pay the DMV for the reinstatement of my license because of this case, but this has me label as a criminal, due to not paying the registry. I transferred my Mass license for a NY license 15 years ago, but I was never flagged for my Mass license. How could I find out from the registry if this is what my suspension is related too?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

I am very sorry for your situation. Was your DUI case in 1993 in NY or Mass?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In Massachusetts.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that clarification.

I transferred my Mass license for a NY license 15 years ago, but I was never flagged for my Mass license. How could I find out from the registry if this is what my suspension is related too?

"The first time I was stopped was in 2003, where I was arrested. I went to court and went to the registry, where I was told that I owed $300.00 for my license."

Allow me to explain what happened. When your license gets suspended in one state, it gets suspended in most states. This is due to something called the Driver License Compact, of which New York and Mass are both members.

If your license is suspended in NY, it will be suspended in Mass as well. The interstate compact's motto is "One Driver, One License, One Record."

Here, it seems that you have found yourself in a complicated bureaucratic situation where you are laden with fines from one/both states, and until/unless they are paid or repealed, if one state is holding your licenses suspended for these fines, so will the other.

How could I find out from the registry if this is what my suspension is related too?

You have to call both MassDOT(NNN) NNN-NNNN and NYS-DMV(NNN) NNN-NNNN and figure out which state is demanding the fine to reinstate the license. Again, one state can suspend all of your licenses from whichever other state until the fines are taken care of. Once this is found out, then you can deal with the fines by paying them or, requesting an administrative/judicial hearing to deal with the matter without payment if you feel it justified.

I am sorry, I know that this is not what you had wished to hear. While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people have limited avenues to seek relief. Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. My license is not suspended in NY, it is suspended in Mass. I have been able to renew my NY license as of last December. I have not had any problems with NY, only in Mass.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Ah, my apologies. I am working on your answer now.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Taking all into account, very likely what happened is that you overlooked paying a court fee or an administrative fee to MassDOT when you took care of the matter back in 1993. It has caught up with you, and Mass wants you to make payment. All you have to do is call MassDOT(NNN) NNN-NNNN and find out what the payment is related to. If you feel that it is not something you owe, you can set a hearing via an attorney or yourself to review the matter.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.