Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

What are the various ages of consent in pa. What constitutes

What are the various ages of consent in pa. What constitutes being minor for purposes of needing to report sexual abuse
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

18 Pa. Cons. Stat., Section 3122 defines rape of a child as sex with a person under the age of 13 years old. 18 Pa. Cons. Stat., Section 3122.1 provides that it is felony sexual assault to engage in sexual conduct with a person under the age of 16, if the person is at least four years older than the minor. So, effectively, 16 is the age of consent with someone of the same age (it's called a "Romeo and Juliet statute"), but 18 is the age of consent where there is a significant age difference between the two.

Legally, a "child" is considered to be anyone under the age of 18. Here's what the statute says:

(1) The term "child abuse" shall mean any of the following:

(i) Any recent act or failure to act by a perpetrator which causes nonaccidental serious physical injury to a child under 18 years of age.

(ii) An act or failure to act by a perpetrator which causes nonaccidental serious mental injury to or sexual abuse or sexual exploitation of a child under 18 years of age.

(iii) Any recent act, failure to act or series of such acts or failures to act by a perpetrator which creates an imminent risk of serious physical injury to or sexual abuse or sexual exploitation of a child under 18 years of age.

(iv) Serious physical neglect by a perpetrator constituting prolonged or repeated lack of supervision or the failure to provide essentials of life, including adequate medical care, which endangers a child's life or development or impairs the child's functioning.

(2) No child shall be deemed to be physically or mentally abused based on injuries that result solely from environmental factors that are beyond the control of the parent or person responsible for the child's welfare, such as inadequate housing, furnishings, income, clothing and medical care.

(3) If, upon investigation, the county agency determines that a child has not been provided needed medical or surgical care because of seriously held religious beliefs of the child's parents, guardian or person responsible for the child's welfare, which beliefs are consistent with those of a bona fide religion, the child shall not be deemed to be physically or mentally abused. The county agency shall closely monitor the child and shall seek court-ordered medical intervention when the lack of medical or surgical care threatens the child's life or long-term health. In cases involving religious circumstances, all correspondence with a subject of the report and the records of the Department of Public Welfare and the county agency shall not reference "child abuse" and shall acknowledge the religious basis for the child's condition, and the family shall be referred for general protective services, if appropriate.

23 Pa. Cons. Stat., Section 6303. So, a sixteen or seventeen year old that is legally capable of consenting to intercourse (with someone within four years of her age) could still be a victim of child abuse.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Did you get my further question?
P
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - I only see where you asked if I got your other question. Can you retype it for me? It looks like there may have been a system error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to make sure this same info would be emailed to me so I could copy it once we get our power back which we lost due to the hurricane.
P

Also it says received 30 deposit but since I didn't sign up for ongoing membership I assumed 30 was the full fee for this consult today. Pls clarify.
P

Because I didn't want to lose you I was waiting for a long time on your site. Eventually gave up and went to my email. P
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I don't know what happened.

I'll ask customer service to confirm your membership information and send you a copy of the question page. Good luck with everything. I was very fortunate to only lose power for a few minutes, but we were out for several days after Irene. It's a tough situation. I hope it gets fixed soon.