shurmust
shurmust, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  I have completed over fifty jury trials in the last three years and teach part-time at a local state college.
69736160

I had a prescription for a benzodiazepine from my psychiatrist,

I had a prescription for a benzodiazepine from my psychiatrist, filled it, and then went and got a 30 day prescription for the same medication from my general practitioner. The second prescription was flagged by INSPECT and not filled and cancelled. I know what I did was wrong but did not know it was illegal. Should I get legal counsel at this point?

shurmust :

I am very sorry to hear what happened to you. I do have a couple of follow-up questions for you. Please note, everything I say is intended as information, and not "advice." You should certainly not say anything to your physician. At this point, anything you

shurmust :

say may be used against you?

shurmust :

Have you been charged with a crime? Do you have any priors? How much time went between your intial filled prescription with your psychiatrist and the time you attempted to get another prescription through your G.P?

Customer:

Over 6 years ago I was charged with forging a prescription, and the count was reduced. I have been sober since that time. I filled my first prescription 30 days ago.

shurmust :

Okay. Well certainly, your first arrest (because it is similar factually, although not the same) may be problematic.

shurmust :

Let me understand, the first prescription was filled 30 days ago, but was it for a 30 day supply? Have you been arrested on the current case?

shurmust :

If the police or anyone for that matter were to contact you, make sure you do not speak to them or answer any questions. Be polite and simply say you don't want to speak with anyone until you have a lawyer present.

Customer:

No, I have not been arrested on the current case. The first prescription was for a 90 day supply. The second was for 30 days with 2 refills. I honestly did not know this was illegal. I had done this before. No, it's not right, but I did not know it was illegal.

shurmust :

Do not let them convince you that everything will be okay if you tell them the truth or talk to them including your physician.

shurmust :

It appears what you were doing is what is called "doctor shopping" and it is illegal.

shurmust :

Nevertheless, if the pharmacy has not done anything, I would let it go, and do not attempt to fill anymore scripts until your first prescription ends.

Customer:

The pharmacy just cancelled my prescription and did not fill it. Thank goodness. So maybe that's good?

shurmust :

In the meantime, lay low. Do not answer the door to the police, in fact, don't answer to anyone.

shurmust :

Yea. That does sound good, but sometimes they will call the police, although it does not seem to be the case as of now.

Customer:

Thank you.

shurmust :

Keep all of your medication in your house as well with the prescription bottle.

Customer:

Yes. That's what I have.

shurmust :

Listen, it is my pleasure, remember, I only earn credit if you rate me. If I have been helpful, or you need anything in the future, please request "Shurmust"

shurmust :

I wish you all the best. Be good, and stay out of trouble :).

Customer:

So it sounds like I might be okay?

shurmust :

As of now, yes.

shurmust :

And it will be good so long as you make no statements and do not answer the door to the police.

Customer:

Thanks again.

Customer:

I won't say anything.

shurmust :

Make sure you tell anyone that you live with not to answer the door as well or let the police in.