JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

My wife is supporting me in domestic violence case how should

My wife is supporting me in domestic violence case how should we defend. The incident took place on 31st july and I had hit her on that day. The cops have taken pictures and statement from her
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. When is the next court date scheduled for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Currently there is an arrest warrant and bailbonds have to provide a letter stating the reasons (hospitalisation) of my missing the date.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. When do you plan to turn yourself in on the warrant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

explaining my disease and the situation at that , can that help in getting a aquittal

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
First things, first: when do you plan to go to court to turn yourself in on the warrant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dec. begining

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Why wait so long?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am currently in India and I misplaced my passport, once my passport is available I can travel back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can I call you

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
I see, thank you. Unfortunately, a telephone consult is not possible. Do you wish to continue with this thread?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please explain more on how to defend, what should we say medical situation or explain a misunderstanding between the cops and my wife.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Procedurally, nothing can be done until you return to the States, go to court on the warrant, plead not guilty and demand a trial. Be sure to bring proof of the hospitalization with you to court.

The judge will schedule a trial on a different date.

Your wife will have the chance to meet with the local prosecutor. That's when she can explain what happened and why she wants the charges to be dropped. It's for the prosecutor to dismiss the charges.

You may find it helpful to have a local criminal defense attorney to go to court with you to negotiate with the prosecutor.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what should be the strategy hospitalisation or misunderstanding with cops. is it that I will meet the judge first and then she will get a chance to meet the prosecutor later. Can she talk to the prosecutor in advance.

can you provide some sample replies/notes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what are the chances of acquittal and is there possibility of a punishment

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
You will meet the judge first for the arraignment. You just explain the hospitalization.

At a different day, your wife will have the chance to meet with the prosecutor.

The prosecutor will not talk with her before you are arraigned.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to provide meaningful notes. Each prosecutor and judge is different. If you're not comfortable going to court by yourself, you should hire a local attorney to go to court with you.

I do not know if the prosecutor will grant your wife's request or not. I am not able to review your actual court and police file.

~~ J.B