Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

i was convicted of wreckless endangerment, a felony, 14 years

i was convicted of wreckless endangerment, a felony, 14 years ago in nys, suffolk county. i was sentenced to three years probation which i completed without a problem, it was transferred to florida where i now live.this was my one and only crime. is it possible to get my rights restored like the right to vote and own a firearm???
I am afraid that NY does not expunge convictions, so the only way to get your firearms rights back would by to file for a pardon through the governor and the Board of Parole. Your right to vote in NY is automatically restored upon completion of your sentence (see: N.Y. Elec. Law § 5-106(2)). Thus, you need to file a petition for a pardon with the NY Board of Parole and seek clemency/pardon with full restoration of your firearms rights to get them back.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does the fact that my probation was transferred to florida who supervised it and collected the money for over two and a half years have any affect on thi,s and also since ny automatically restoers my right to vote i am now legal to vote again

No, it is the NY law that governs, since that is the state you were convicted in. It does not matter where your probation was transferred to.