Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I am letting a friend that is on parole. live on my property

Customer Question

I am letting a friend that is on parole. live on my property in the mountains. he is on a GPS
tracking device. THe parole officer said the GPS was picking him up on my property. But the parole officer makes him drive 19 miles one way and wait a half hour there. Do they have the right to do this.... IN Tulare County CA

Thank You in Advance
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
What are they making him drive for? What is the purpose?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Parole officer is not very fourthcoming. the officer said it is what it is

and if he didn't like it move.

To me it seems like they Are trying to make it as difficult as possible.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, they can make him drive in and sit and wait to report it, do community service, etc. Parole is considered a privilege and not a right and therefore they can set almost any restrictions or requirements on it that they want to. This one isn't that unusual since in some cities it takes that long to get to the office and the wait can be longer than that.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my question is about the (GPS)

he's going to a gas station 19 miles one way. for the gps signal. he does not meet anyone there. The parole Officer told him in front of me that they had picked up the signal at my place. Are you saying a parol officer has the right to tell you to drive 19 miles for a signal when you get it at the place you are living.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, a parole officer can basically make a parolee jump through almost any hoops. There is a page at which described the standard conditions but note that it also says some parolees have added conditions unique to them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This isn't a condition of parol,

This is something the parole officer wants him to do.

he cannot afford the fuel every day. so if a parole officer told you to drive

around the block 10,000 times you'd have to do it

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
A parole officer can set the conditions of parole and if a parole officer tells him to do something it becomes a condition of parole. Look at the 9th item on the list that I gave you the link to.

It states that a parolee is obligated to follow his parole agent's instructions.

I'm sure you understand that I don't make these rules, but I am aware of what they expect and don't expect, I've been involved with a lot of paroles, written articles about it, and attended revocations.