Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

if convicted of domestic violence in idaho do you loose gun

Customer Question

if convicted of domestic violence in idaho do you loose gun rights and or hunting privillages
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
.
Yes, under Idaho law, if someone is convicted of domestic battery, they lose their gun rights and they are not restored upon the completion of any sentence.
.
In 1998, the Idaho Legislature criminalized domestic violence. Idaho Code § 18-918. Domestic violence is graded as misdemeanor or felony depending on the injury inflicted or the defendant’s prior convictions. If the crime is a felony, I.C. § 18-3316 and the general provisions of the Brady Act prohibit the felon from possessing a firearm. If the crime is a misdemeanor, the 1996 amendment to the Brady Act makes it a crime to possess a firearm.
.
The bottom line is that any person convicted of a crime of domestic violence, felony or misdemeanor, is prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.