Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice

penalty for use of marijuana in the state of illinois as a

Customer Question

penalty for use of marijuana in the state of illinois as a physician
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyCBradford replied 4 years ago.

AttyCBradford :

Here is a link to the penalties of possession in Illinois

Are ask what is the penalty for possessing MEDICAL marjuana or possessing it as a doctor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I asked what the penality for a MD in Illinois-for example is his license suspended if her tests positive for use etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Penalty of a physician testing positive for the use of marajuana in the state of illinois-including revocation of his license or other actions by the medical board of physicians (licensing dept)

Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello there.

The Illinois Dept of Financial and Professional Regulation can take any action that they deem fit in the case of a physician who tests positive for marijuana in their system and/or is found to have marijuana in their possession. The action they take is completely subjective -- they can reprimand the doctor and all the way up to revoking the license and whether or not they take such an action simply depends upon the facts of the case and the manner in which it has been handled. Here is a link to their website for more information: If criminal charges have been brought against the doctor, then it is only a matter of time before someone discloses this to the licensing authority (it is a matter of opinion whether or not it is better for the doctor to make the report to the licensing authority himself/herself or to simply wait until it catches up to the doctor). My suggestion is that the doctor consult immediately with an attorney who practices in the area of professional licenses and discuss the case with this lawyer in a consultation meeting - you can find such an attorney by contacting the bar association of the nearest large city to where the doctor practices medicine and they have referral services through the bar associations where they will give you the names of several such attorneys in your area -- the doctor can then call a few of them and set up an appointment or two and go from there. For example, here is a link to the Chicago bar association attorney referral service:

There is nothing that tells us exactly what the criteria is regarding the license reprimand/suspension/revocation will be or even the length of time -- that is internal subjective criteria that they use and as a licensing agency they are permitted to operate like that. That is why I strongly suggest that you contact a local lawyer specializing in these type of cases.

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. First, I realize that you are disappointed that I could not give you an exact statute to rely on - but these situations are controlled internally using codes specific to the agency and because the criteria used is very subjective it it not likely that we would be able to tell you what will happen with this case in any event. Second, I ask that you be fair and that you realize that any rating you give below is just for MY answer and not the other experts response to you and so I would appreciate it if you rate this at least "OK SERVICE" (the middle smile face) - because I did do the research for you and found an answer for you that is as close to reasonably definitive as I could do. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!