JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

my fiance was arrested april 4th 2012 for the probation violation

my fiance was arrested april 4th 2012 for the probation violation failure to report. he was brought before a judge on june 14th 2012 on four counts of probation violation the judge dismissed two counts and kept two counts. my fiances public defender did not represent him very well and appeared to be unfamiliar with my fiances case. the judge decided to postpone sentencing for a different date and suggested the public defender read and familiarize himself with my fiances case. my fiances probation ends on october 18th and we are wanting to find out if they can still impose sentencing if his probation has ended?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

October 18 is not a magic date. If your friend failed to report and violated probation, he can still be sentenced for that violation.

Probation is a matter of grace and is terminated by the court -- not a date on the calendar.

This is why, yes, the judge can still impose sentencing. There is no legal authority which prevents that from happening.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Replyf tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.