Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

My co-worker told police last Friday that I was threatening

My co-worker told police last Friday that I was threatening to kill someone and I was arrested on Friday night and put into the jail. I was released on Saturday after my wife deposited $10K. I am now waiting for a judge.

The story is that I had conversion with her about my former boss (A)who hired me as a junior faculty, and then kicked me off his laboratory after grabbing my transgenic mice which I got from my another former boss (B). He later does have the transgenic mice through legal MTA (material transfer agreement) with my another former boss (B). This happened over 6 months ago (at the end of this January). Later I found a new position in the same city (Baton Rouge, LA).

I talked about my past experience with a couple of co-workers at different time, and at the end of conversation I said I should buy a gun in the future to protect myself and my properties, if someone grab something from me I will kill him. Due to my limited oral English all my conversions are almost the same when I talked my past experience with co-workers. Only this co-worker told police about our conversation and said I was going to kill my former boss (A).

My co-worker mis-understood me. My original meaning is that IF someone in the future is going to grab my stuff I will kill him, but that does not point to my former boss (A).
I am wondering what the consequence is if the court does judge me for that? Do I have to hire a lawyer for that? And how much does that cost? I am a foreigner, but is permanent resident. Can I be deported? I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Thank you so much.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 1 year ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you tonight? I am sorry to hear about your situation.

meigs004 :

So you were arrested for threatening to kill someone, even though you in fact did not threaten them personally?

Customer:

Thank you,

Customer:

Yes, my co-worker told police that I was going to kill my former b

oss

meigs004 :

What was the charge that you were charged with?

Customer:

I have no idea for that, but the LSU (Louisiana State University where I am working now) arrested me and told me I threatened to kill someone on campus which is again law

Customer:

Where I can find what kind of charge I have? in the bond release sheet?

meigs004 :

Yes, it will most likely be on there.

meigs004 :

Please take a brief look at it, and let me know.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I am checking now

meigs004 :

Great, I will await your response.

Customer:

Sorry, I didn't see any this kind of information

meigs004 :

Ok, do you have any other documentation? Were you arrested by the police or campus police of LSU?

Customer:

I only got a piece of "Appearance bond"

meigs004 :

Is there any statute or charge information?

Customer:

No, I signed a couple of documents, but never gave me a copy of them

Customer:

On the "type of Bail", "cash deposit" was chose

Customer:

Court date is "on Notice"

Customer:

Got it. It say: 14:40. ITerrorizing

Customer:

Terrorizing

meigs004 :

I understand. I will first represent to you that, if financially feasible, you need to hire a lawyer, as that is a serious charge. It is always best to have legal representation in these situations. Not only can they negotiate a deal for you, but potentially have the charge dismissed. Considering you did not make the threat directly to the former boss, and there was no action taken on your part to actually take any steps towards acting on the threat, it is highly possible that a lawyer could get it thrown out.

meigs004 :

Here is that statute that describes the charge.

Customer:

How to find a related best lawyer? And what's the worst consequence if I was charged by the court?

meigs004 :

§40.1. Terrorizing

A. Terrorizing is the intentional communication of information that the commission of a crime of violence is imminent or in progress or that a circumstance dangerous to human life exists or is about to exist, with the intent of causing members of the general public to be in sustained fear for their safety; or causing evacuation of a building, a public structure, or a facility of transportation; or causing other serious disruption to the general public.

B. Whoever commits the offense of terrorizing shall be fined not more than fifteen thousand dollars or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than fifteen years, or both.

meigs004 :

This is the statute indicating what the act of terrorizing is composed of.

meigs004 :

Here is the penalty for violation of this statute.

meigs004 :

Whoever commits the offense of terrorizing shall be fined not more than fifteen thousand dollars or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than fifteen years, or both.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your great help

meigs004 :

As you can see it is a very serious charge, and you should retain a lawyer soon. The best way to find a lawyer experienced in this area, is to consult the local bar, and find reputable criminal defense attorneys.

meigs004 :

If this answers your questions tonight, please do not forget to provide a positive rating.

Customer:

Is there online information that I can find local reputable lawyers?

meigs004 :

Yes, consult the Louisiana Bar Association for a referral as well.

Customer:

Thank you so much for this helpful information

meigs004 :

You are very welcome, I wish you the best of luck, please do not forget to provide a positive rating.

Customer:

Normally how much does that cost to hire a lawyer?4

Customer:

I definitely will rate you as five star

meigs004 :

It truly depends on their experience and reputation. So it will vary, but for a felony charge, you can expect a retainer of around $2,500 - 5,000.

Customer:

Got it. I appreciate your great help

meigs004 :

Sure. Good luck, and please do not forget to provide the positive rating.

Customer:

I am 100% satisfied with your service and will give you top rate

meigs004 :

Thanks so much, I appreciate you allowing me to help. Good Luck!

Customer:

Thank you

meigs004 :

Thanks.

Customer:

How to rate it? When I click rate it, it come to here again.

meigs004 :

I sorry, you provide a positive rating by clicking the smiley face and submitting.

meigs004 :

Do you see it?

Customer:

Got it

Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.