Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was charged as PCS MJ with a history of PCS in 2011. Am

Customer Question

I was charged as PCS MJ with a history of PCS in 2011. Am I looking at jail time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
You were charged with simple possession? How much weight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
0.16 grams and 3.11 grams marijuana
As a second offense, simple possession in IA is considered a serious misdemeanor and you are looking at up to 12 months in jail and generally that time will be suspended and you would get 12 months probation, and also up to a $1000 fine. It is when you get to a 3rd offense, while they call it a serious misdemeanor, it is considered a felony by the feds because you would get up to 2 years in jail (and are generally looking at least at 12 months in jail without suspension of sentence), which means that even though IA calls it a misdemeanor as far as the feds are concerned you lose your firearm rights as they will consider you at that point a convicted felon.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”