counselor94
counselor94, Lawyer
Experience:  40 years active practice of law

Good afternoon,i recieved a dui in 2008 in november.I went

Customer Question

Good afternoon,i recieved a dui in 2008 in november.I went to city court and was found guilty I had a local public defender at the hearing with me .i checked with another attorney i knew to ask if i needed to contact my insurance company& was told it was on the state to do this.That was in november of 2008,what is the statue of limitations on a situation of this type& how long do they have to report this to my insurer,which would make my rates go up instead of dropping as they have til this june @the time of renewal&was told cost of repair&car replacement had raised. T.Y.,BRITT XXXXXX

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  counselor94 replied 1 year ago.

counselor94 :

Becoming involved in a criminal matter is generally very stressful. Please allow me to address some of your concerns.

counselor94 :

Good afternoon. I am not sure that I understand your question. You had a DUI conviction, your insurance rates did not increase. What is your question?

counselor94 :

Generally, the State does not actually report a DUI conviction to an insurer. What really happens is that when you receive a DUI conviction, it becomes a matter of written, recorded record. When the insurance company then checks your record, for instance when deciding whether to renew your policy, they then become aware of the conviction, and your rates are generally increased accordingly. What probably has occurred in your case is that the insurance company has just not updated its records by checking for convictions, and your rates have therefor not reflected an increase because of your DUI conviction. It may also be possible that the city court in which you were convicted just erred and did not record your conviction in a manner that it was picked up by your insurance company and reflected in a rate increase. You should enjoy your good luck.

counselor94 :

If at some point in the future your prior DUI conviction is recognized/ identified, you generally can not keep the insurance company from using the conviction to justify a rate increase.

counselor94 :

I hope that this information was helpful. I see that after reading part of my response, you had to go offline. As an accommodation to you, I completed my response to your question. I have enjoyed this opportunity to assist you.

Please click on a 3, 4, or 5 rating so that I will be compensated. If you are not satisfied with this answer, please send me a Reply with what you feel is wrong with the answer and what additional information you are seeking.
Clicking on number 1 or 2 is not necessary in order for me to explain my Answer and will adversely affect my overall ratings.

BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have additional questions, while I will be happy to assist, I need you to click on an approval rating for the original question before we discuss other, new questions.
Please recognize that this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and the local customs and practices in your particular jurisdiction.

Thank you. Counselor94.

counselor94, Lawyer
Experience: 40 years active practice of law
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Thank you. Counselor94.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

,I have read information on the matter pertaining to my particular situation,the insuring company has renewed my policy in years 09-10-11-&12.In 09-10&11 my rates decreased by $58.00 til this year in july end of policy period.when i contacted them i was told that my rates increased because of the higher price of cars and the higher repair rates.west virginia in 09 passed a new law which expunges the incident from my record for hiring for a job & credit,ect,but not from your driving record,as this was my 1st offence. in further study i found that insurers can increase your rates 2-3 yrs after said offence & not to be suprised if this occurs.do you know if there is a cutoff # XXXXX year's in which i can no longer worry about a increase.

I would suggest that you contact a local attorney to determine whether the insurance carriers in your area have a recognized pattern of behavior regarding how far back they rely upon action to justify a rate increase. In my experience, insurance carriers feel that there is an obligation on you, as their insured, to keep them informed regarding things that occur which may affect your insurance rates. That allows them to increase your rates, or even drop you as an insured when they do discover the changes which you have not disclosed to them. I hope that this information has been helpful. Good luck. Counselor94.
Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!