Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son is being released from prison,but has to serve time

Customer Question

My son is being released from prison,but has to serve time in another area for probation violation. He has served ten years in a federal prison for drugs,and will be picked up at the feds to serve the probation time in the other area. We want to write the sentencing judge and ask for reconsideration and allow his time to run with federal time. your advice would be appreciated.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that by law, the judge in federal court under their sentencing guidelines cannot run the sentence concurrently with a probation violation. A probation violation is intended to be a punishment, which is separate from the other sentencing and not allowed to be run concurrent under the guidelines. Without a basis in law for this request, the court could not and will not even consider your request I am afraid.

In order to file a "motion for reconsideration of sentence" with the sentencing court, you have to cite law that allows him to sentence the probation violation concurrent with the other sentencing time.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son was sentenced in federal court, then he was sentenced on the probation violation in a Charles County Maryland County Court. We want to know how to approach asking the county judge to reconsider the sentence and let the time served in the federal prison serve as the time he was sentenced by the county.What should we do?, How do we approach this ?

If you have questions please ask? Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

My son was sentenced in federal court, then he was sentenced on the probation violation in a  Charles County Maryland County Court. We want to know how to approach asking the county judge to reconsider the sentence and let the time served in the federal prison serve as the time he was sentenced by the county.What should we do?, How do we approach this ?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about federal probation. The state court has discretion regarding granting time served to count towards the probation violation, but it is still rarely done. In order to ask for the consideration, this is done by filing a motion to the court for reduction of sentence and this motion would describe the time he did in jail in the federal prison and would ask the court to consider giving a concurrent sentence and credit for time served for the probation violation. The only reason the county will not consider this is if the probation violation itself was being convicted for the federal charge, but again under state law it is not prohibited. He needs to file a motion to reduce or reconsider his probation violation sentence and grant time served.