Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I went through Accelerated Rehabilitation in CT in 2007 after

I went through Accelerated Rehabilitation in CT in 2007 after an arrest for 6th degree larceny. I was never fingerprinted or booked officially with a mugshot, etc. Is my record actually gone now? If I apply for a nursing license in MA in the next year or two, will it show up?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

Accelerated rehabilitation is when the person is placed on probation for up to two years. If probation is completed satisfactorily, the charges are dismissed. Upon dismissal, all records of such charges shall be erased pursuant to section C.G.S. § 54-142a.

Ergo, this should not show up on your record if you had completed the probation period successfully. It is as though it never even happened.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this true no matter who is performing the background check? I.e., I understand that it would be as though there were no record for a standard background check done by a potential employer, but I've been told that the Board of Nursing does a background check in conjunction with the FBI. Do they have access to expunged or deleted records such as these? Thanks!

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Quite sure. "[The information] shall be erased by operation of law and the clerk or any person charged with the retention and control of such records shall not disclose to anyone their existence or any information pertaining to any charge so erased." § 54-142(a).

The only exceptions to this are to the police and/or state attorney or any other prosecuting attorney.

Ergo, the State Board of Nursing should not see this record.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one more thing - if someone does a background check, does it show up as "no record," or as "record deleted" which would indicate that there was a record at one point?

Thanks!

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

I am working on your answer right now, thank you.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

J,

It should not show up at all.